Saturday, December 19, 2009

Good friends

I went to Atlanta and I have to say that Atlanta is one of my favourite cities...

...I was there earlier this year, met some friends and went back to see them.

It is FUN and fun is what I had and if I wasn't dancing, exploring or eating food I was chillin'.

We got to cooking, I even baked a cake, ate and ate and of course went out to amazing shows. Random shows too.

One night we went out just to see what was happening and after leaving a cheesy bar where you hear 'hip hop' so bad that they are using samples from songs that came out last year. My friend and I stumbled upon a live show, (okay - not exactly stumble, but let's just say he knows whose tweets to follow - the man himself) Maseo from De La Soul doing it up at a club, the show was free, the crowd was between the ages of 35 and 55 and he was playing vinyl mixing set after set of fantastic classics. There was a sign saying 'trucker bangin' and a few people had t-shirts that said the exact same phrase. We were trying to figure out if we ran in to a family reunion, a trucker reunion or perhaps a new band that called themselves 'trucker banging' because at one point a few people decided Maseo wasn't good enough and asked him to play some tracks they could 'rap' to...well, some people have talent and some don't. I don't think I have witnessed so much heckling, people were literally begging for them to stop. They did eventually.

Then a couple days later we went out to see Rich Medina.

It was cold, raining and a Tuesday night, the show didn't start until midnight, but folks still made it out to dance to excellent afro beat, funk, soul and a dash of hip hop.


It helps when you are in company of people who like the same music as you do and enjoy food as much as you do and have the same politics and sense of humour as you do. Life becomes simple, or at least simpler - especially when you don't have to get up in the morning and go to a job.

Thanks to my peeps in Atlanta for a good time! Miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment